Following is a list of what is off limits if you’re committed to strict Paleo.
- No Sugar or Artificial Sugar
(Equal, Splenda, Stevia, agave nectar, pure cane, corn syrup, fructose, molasses, honey, maltodextrin, etc)
- No Junk Food
(cakes, desserts, cookies, candy, chocolate, pastries, chips, crackers,ice cream, snack foods, etc)
- No Grains
(wheat products, corn products, rice, pasta, bread, oatmeal, cereals, etc)
- No Legumes/Beans
(peanuts, lima beans, kidney beans, black beans etc)
- No Dairy
(milk, ½ + ½, cream, butter, yogurt, cheese, etc)
- No Alcohol
(Includes wine, beer and hard liquor)
Why No Sugar Substitutes?
- Sugar and all substitutes may spike insulin levels
- Prohibits many people from losing weight
Why No Grains?
- Not healthy, no nutrients, not suitable for our digestive system – (causes weight gain and bloating)
- Contain anti-nutrients (phytates- more on that soon)
- Contain lectin (grain protein causes gut irritation) > celiac: gluten intolerance > destruction of villi in intestines > a vast array of digestive/gastrointestinal problems: constipation – heart burn – colon disease – IBS – varicose veins – indigestion – colitis – gall stones – hemorroids – appendicitis – hiatal hernia – duodenal ulcer
- Gluten (wheat, oats) disrupts insulin signalling (1 in 33 people have celiac disease)
- Lead to carb addiction (bread anyone?)
- Kitava study: No cancer, diabetes, heart disease or obesity. Intro to grains/dairy/legumes = disease started
- Inuits: 85% fat, 15% protein, no carbs = no disease
Why No Legumes/Beans?
- Contain phytates > binds w/ bone minerals > robs you of it
- Contain lectin: originally evolved to fight off insect predators > binds w/ tissues in our body > increase intestinal permeability > allows partially digested food and gut bacteria to pass into the bloodstream > also impairs the immune system > leads to many autoimmune diseases in genetically susceptible people
Why No Dairy?
- Spikes insulin levels
- Nutrient deficient (cows are fed grain) and loaded w/ antibiotics and growth hormones
- Linked to increased risk of prostate and ovarian cancer
Black coffee – Espresso – Americano – green/black/herbal/oolong tea water – water w/ lemon. THAT’S IT.