Following is a more detailed description of the food categories you’re allowed to eat.
- All the Meat you want:
Any beef (ground beef, steak), pork (chops, ham), lamb, duck, chicken, turkey, eggs, fish, seafood (clams, scallops, etc). Fresh or frozen.
- Plenty of Veggies:
Any fresh or frozen veggies (except potato, corn, and beans)
- Supplement with Nuts/Seeds:
Any nuts/seeds (except peanuts), raw/ lightly roasted and unsalted; or any nut butters
- Add some other Healthy Fats:
Avocados, olive/almond/coconut oil, or flaxseed/grape seed oil
- Some Fruit:
Any whole fresh fruit (no juice), but in moderation (1-2 servings)
Why All the Meat?
- You can’t overeat it and you can’t gain weight on lean meat alone
- Loaded w/ BCAAs + glutamine = faster recovery = drop in cortisol (stress hormone)
- Loaded w/ carnitine which causes fat to be used as energy
- Raises metabolism which burns more calories
- Satisfies the appetite
- Improves insulin sensitivity
Note: ALWAYS eat meat with fat (naturally or from nuts/seeds, olive oil, avocado)
Why All the Veggies?
- Loaded w/ vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc
- Fills you up
- Doesn’t spike your insulin
- Balances the acid-base (more alkaline as opposed to acidic)
Why Nuts/Seeds, Olive Oil, or Avocado
- Fat ratios of omega 3/6/9 get normalized
- Get more 3 w/ fish oil and more 9 w/ olive oil and nuts
- Anti-inflammatory (Inflammation causes: heart attacks, cancer, and Alzheimer’s to name a few)
- Essential to human health
- Promotes healthy blood flow
Why Only Some Fruit?
Sadly, fruit raises insulin levels and needs to be moderated if you are:
1) Trying to lose weight OR
2) Diabetic or have another metabolic derangement
That being said, fruits are still very good for you, naturally sweet, and loaded w/ nutrients. A good rule of thumb is to keep your fruit intake less than that of vegitables